1 November 2013

Posted by jinson on 1.11.13 No comments
Making His Family Proud :The Star
KLANG: This year’s Deepavali is supposed to be an extra special occasion for Harimau Muda A winger D. Saarvindran as he will be celebrating his 21st birthday on Nov 4 – just two days after the festival of lights on Saturday.
However, the youngster won’t be celebrating his birthday as the Harimau Muda A squad left for Phnom Penh, Cambodia, on Thursday to play in the Mekong Region BIDC Cup. The tournament is from Nov 2-10. But Saarvin will not be returning home after the tournament because the team will then travel to Amman, Jordan, for two friendly matches.
They will only be back home on Nov 20. The 20-year-old said that he was used to being away from the family as “it’s part and parcel of being a professional player”. However, his family, especially his mother S. Maheswary, have yet to come to terms with him being away on such occasions. “This will be the third time that I’ll be missing Deepavali. I was with the team in China in 2009 and Slovakia in 2010 ... so, I’m kind of used to being away on festive occasions,” said the Klang local.
“My mum is a bit upset because my 21st birthday is just around the corner, but I’ve spoken to her and convinced her that I’ll hold a belated birthday celebration if the team win the SEA Games gold medal.” Saarvin said that Deepavali for him usually starts with an oil bath, given by his 78-year-old grandmother S. Segapee, before attending prayers at home and at the temple. The youngster said that they would usually head to his aunt’s home nearby for breakfast before returning home to enjoy lunch. 
That is also when they would entertain family and friends who come visiting. “I will miss the atmosphere and my mother’s special Deepavali dishes but I’ve asked her to cook for me when I return home,” said Saarvin. “I have also told my mother to hide some of the cookies and murukus from my siblings.” The winger is expected to take on a bigger role after a positive showing in the National Under-23 team’s triumph in the Merdeka Tournament in September.
First choice winger Wan Zack Haikal Wan Nor has been ruled out of the SEA Games with an anterior cruciate ligament injury and this has paved the way for Saarvin to claim the right wing spot. “I feel sorry for Wan Zack ... it’s a blow to lose a player of his quality and we will miss him. His absence means others now have a chance to earn a spot in the team.”

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Arkib Blog